Our Wednesday night Bible study at the Global Vision Bible Church in Mt. Juliet currently has us in 1 Timothy. Last night, we arrived at 3:15 in 1 Timothy, which reads, “if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” So it’s very clear that Paul held the local church in high esteem.
Our pastor has come up with a list of 15 principles on the importance of the local church. These truths aren’t arranged in nice, tidy list in 1 Timothy, though, but are scattered throughout the New Testament. Last night, we went through 7 of the 15. The remainder of the list will come next week. But here’s the start:
1) Jesus died for the Church, so apparently it’s a big deal to Him.
2) Second only to the gospel, the local church is the major emphasis of the New Testament.
3) We are commanded by God to be in one.
4) It’s the very place God ordained to utilize your spiritual gifts.
5) It’s a place designed for a corporate understanding of the Bible.
6) You were created with a deep need for community.
7) Your kids see your haphazard approach to church and will certainly follow your lead.
To be continued…