These are difficult passages that deal with our home life.
Shame on men who will not take on the spiritual leadership in their homes. Many marriages end in divorce where the wife respects other men more than her husband.
There is nothing more powerful than a godly woman (a mother or grandmother who prays for us).
Verse 3 instruct wives to dress modestly, and admonishes them against dressing and carrying themselves in a manner that would attract everyone else’s husband.
1. The culture is in total opposition to Biblical marriage. Jesus chose to perform his first miracle at a wedding feast, thereby putting His stamp of approval on Biblical marriage.
Cultural elements that stand against Biblical marriage:
- Hollywood/fashion industry
- Porn industry (the #1 problem in the American church)
- LGBT community (God said it is wrong.)
Liberalsm hates anything that is true and from the word of God. The culture is set up against the family in every way we can imagine. We can pray for revival in our churches all we want to — and we do want to see revival in our churches — but most of all we need revival in our homes.
2. The beauty of a Godly wife is found in her walk with Christ and her ability to properly communicate. The Bible does not put us in bondage. It is not the duty of the wife to “measure up.” Being meek means she knows how to listen to things she doesn’t want to hear. Having a quiet spirit means she knows when and when not to provoke back. If the husband is the head of the home, then the wife is the heart of the home.
Trust God and fear God, but don’t live in cowering fear of your husband.
3. A wife that lives in the fear of God will gladly live in submission to her husband. This in no way gives the husband license to abuse his wife. Submission is always easy when you love each other.